« Home | Out of boredom, I typed my name into Google to see... » | I woke up relatively early today after a full eigh... » | I was supposedly at Boracay. My version of Bora... » | Hello? Hello? Testing. Testing. One. Two. Three. » 

2/04/2004 

Abstraction

Last night, my friend, Jack and I stopped over at the neighborhood Shell Select to buy a pack of cigarettes. Half of the shop was in disarray as it was being renovated. Above the dust coated glass door of the shop, hung a red sign made of Styrofoam. The sign read, "Happy..", followed by a drawing of a white heart then "..Day!". Feb. 14 was right around the corner.

"Pare, ano yung 'Happy Heart Day'?" Jack asked pointing to the sign.

"That's not happy heart day," I answered. " Happy Valentine's 'yan!"

"E bakit heart?" he ventured on.

My ears were tingling."I guess tinamad sila sa pagsulat ng 'Valentine's'. You know it's just like when people shorten Merry Christmas to Merry Xmas."

"That's a different thing," Jack replied. I had to agree with him; that was a bad example.

"I guess it's like when a sign says 'Merry Christmas' but instead of the word 'Christmas', they put a picture of Santa Claus or a Christams Tree," I said hoping to redeem myself. "So in this case, instead of 'Valentine's', they put a heart in its place."

"Alternative ba ng Valentine's Day ang Heart Day?"

My ears were practically flapping.

We capped off the night with what I would like to consider a learned discussion over a few beers and a cup of coffee. We talked about Philippine politics, George Dubya, and feudal Japan. No abstract reasoning was required.